Friday, June 21, 2013

Friday, June 21, 2013



 Last night after we read Will It Float or Sink?, I told her we could play a game of it this morning in the kiddie pool.  So fun!  We both picked some stuff to check, then we wrote down all the things and her guesses about what would happen.  Then she got in the pool and tried one thing at a time, told me if they sank or floated, and I wrote down the results. 


Then she kept playing in the pool for a while.  She figured out that some things that float by themselves will sink if she puts a big rock on/in them.  Then we played a game (I was sitting in a lawn chair right next to the pool) where I had a pool noodle sword and two of her dolls, and I had to protect them from her, the evil sea serpent, by knocking her containers full of water to the side before she splashed us with them. It was awesome. 

She watched a bunch of Curious George episodes (skunks, hot air balloons, building construction, musical instruments, etc -- she was very excited to learn that tomato juice takes out skunk smell -- apparently Norman and I had inadvertently led her to believe it was permanent) and an episode of The Magic School Bus about baking. 

All the things we played Will It Float with were sitting on the dining table to dry, and she somehow made a game out of just those things.

We talked about Disney World and what all they have there (she's seen Sofia Grace and Rosie there on Ellen).  I found some YouTube videos about it, including a ride-through of Splash Mountain. Cheapskate that I am, I'm thinking of getting one of those free Disney vacation planning DVDs and putting it in her Christmas stocking. :-) She would love that! (We are planning to go sometime in the next couple years -- Orlando is a short day's drive from Charleston.) 

I started reading her this book about the presidents, but it was pretty dull, but she found the diagram of the inside of the White House interesting. She can read a bunch of the room names. We decided I should look up on Wikipedia to see why the China Room and the Vermeil Room are named thus.  

1 comment: